Sunday, September 18, 2011

Soup Season is Back!!!

I am so excited that the weather is cooling down!!  It has been in the 70s during the day, and is getting down into the 50s at night.  We all went to Brandon's football game on Friday night and we had to wear jackets and jeans - YEAH!!  Not only am I ready for cold weather clothes, but I am also ready for cold weather soups, stews, and casseroles!!!  I do love to cook and bake - I have to admit, though, that I have to really work hard at it.  Some people are just "naturals" in the kitchen - I am not.  So when I find a recipe that is easy and yummy I get really excited.  I decided to make Meatball Minestrone tonight.  It is Sunday, and football is on (which I love to drain my brain on ;)), and I didn't really feel like cooking, so I decided to make soup.  It was a HUGE hit with everyone, so I decided to share with my friends and family.  I hope you all try it and like it as much as we did.  My kids all declared it a "keeper" - although Brandon said he would put less beans in it ;).  Let me know if you try it!!

Meatball Minestrone
Serves 6
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, thinly sliced
4 cups chicken broth
14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in their juice
15-1/2-ounce can beans, rinsed and drained (I used white beans)
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 cup orzo pasta (I used alphabet egg noodles - the twins are learning to read ;) )
2 cups meatballs (I used frozen meatballs - EASY)
Grated Parmesan
Instructions

1.In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat, then saute the onion and garlic until softened, about 2 minutes.
2.Add the carrots, chicken broth, diced tomatoes in their juice, beans, Italian seasoning, and pasta. Bring the soup to a boil.
3.Reduce the heat and add the meatballs. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the meatballs are heated through and the pasta is tender. Serve topped with grated Parmesan.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum!!! I love soup and I will definitely try this one! Thanks for sharing!

PAULINE said...

YOUR SOUP RECIPE SOUNDS YUMMY. WHEN I C U IN OCT. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY SOME. OK. I SHOULD PACK WARM CLOTHES WHEN I VISIT U ALL. MY PRAYERS R WITH THESE LITTLE CHILDREN N HOPE THEY ALL GET ADOPTED. ITS VERY SAD. MISS U ALL. HUGS,GRAMMA.

Race Bannon said...

Technically you are "in the house" during football games, but I think you say "yeah football is on" and then collectively you sit down and watch all of 2 minutes....I'm just sayin'

Mrs. K said...

Your recipe sounds YUMMY. I plan to try it as soon as I figure out how to copy and paste to an email then print. I need to go on Dad's PC 'cause he has a printer.
Would love to try it today as it is in the 50's and raining very hard. I just might hand copy and go to Wally's to get the ingredients. I think we went straight into winter, happy we don't live up here all year.

Love your background, makes me feel cozy.
xoxoxoxo love and hugs