Thursday, September 22, 2011

Handfulls on purpose....

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story about Ruth and Boaz.  I will give you a brief summary of this story, just in case you haven't ever read it ~ but you have to go read it, it is a beautiful love story!!! 

So, Elimelech, his wife, Naomi, and their two sons have left Bethlehem, Judah because of a famine in the land, and have travelled to the country of Moab.  While in Moab, Naomi's husband dies, her two sons get married, and then the two sons die, leaving Naomi and her two daughter-in-laws widows.  Naomi decides to go back to Judah and tells her daughter-in-laws to return to their families.  Ruth, one of the daughter-in-laws, loves her mother-in-law and refuses to leave her.  So, Ruth travels with Naomi back to Judah.  Ruth is trying hard to care for her mother-in-law and herself.  She asks Naomi if she can go and gather leftover grain from the fields belonging to a relative of Naomi's deceased husband:

Ruth 2: 1-2... 1 There was a relative of Naomi’s husband, a man of great wealth, of the family of Elimelech. His name was Boaz. 2 So Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, “Please let me go to the field, and glean heads of grain after him in whose sight I may find favor.”  And she said to her, “Go, my daughter.”  3 Then she left, and went and gleaned in the field after the reapers. And she happened to come to the part of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech.

So Ruth goes to the fields, and Boaz sees her and hears of her caring for his relative's widow, and he says:

Ruth 2: 15-16...Boaz commanded his young men, saying, “Let her glean even among the sheaves, and do not reproach her. 16 Also let grain from the bundles fall purposely for her; leave it that she may glean, and do not rebuke her.”

My favorite part of that entire story is when Boaz tells his workers to leave handfulls on purpose for Ruth.  So much kindness, and caring, and grace, and love in one action. 

All of that intro for one little thing.....I love it when God gives me handfulls on purpose.  

Lately, I feel like my days begin and end so fast that I barely have time to breathe.  Homeschooling, teaching the twins to read, taking care of Elli, taking boys to and from school, football, soccer and boyscouts, painting some of the inside of my house, and having workers in the house to paint the rest, on top of my regular housework, laundry, and grocery shopping.....it really never ends!!  Don't get me wrong, I love my job and wouldn't want to be doing anything else!!!  I am just saying that it is wonderful when God gives me little handfulls on purpose.  Little handfulls of love and grace in a morning like this morning.... 


 Joshua, quietly and resolutely doing his schoolwork.... 
My Scentsy warmers, filling my home with the most wonderful smells....
(if you haven't ever tried Scentsy, you must, you will never again waste your money on a candle that only partially makes your house smell wonderful - and on my side-bar is a button that will link you to my sister-in-law's Scentsy store - yes, Patti sells Scentsy :))  
Leah, taking advantage of the quiet house and taking her morning nap.... 
Jason, Reagan and Elli playing quietly upstairs.... 
Me, drinking my coffee, reading my Bible Study (which is what reminded me of the story of Boaz and Ruth), grading math, and thanking God for a much needed handfull this morning ;)

4 comments:

PAULINE said...

I READ THE BIBLE STORY OF RUTH AND BOAZ N I LOVED IT. GOD REWARDS U WHEN U HAVE FAITH IN HIM. I COULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED WITHOUT HIM. THX FOR THE REMINDER LORI. U CERTAINLY HAVE GOD IN YOUR LIFE. THE BOYS N ELLIE R SOOOOOOGORGEOUS. LOVE THE PKTR OF JOSHIE AT STUDY. I DO HAVE A SCNENSZY, BUT NOT TRIED IT YET. YOU GOT IT FOR ME FOR B-DAY GIFT. YOU HAVE A VERY BUSY LIFE. ANXIOUS TO C U ALL. LUV U. HUGS,GRAMMA.

Danielle said...

Im hoping to try scentsy soon! Love
This post... It's a great reminder to look for those handfuls!

Race Bannon said...

The picture of you sipping your coffee and reading made me thing...there are a lot of things to do, I could leave you a list each day...

Mrs. K said...

The teacher in me is taking over here: 1) more than one daughter-in-law is daughters-in-law, and 2) Race I think you meant to say
"made me think" (see your comment).

Now for the Grammi in me: I miss those ever so busy days but never really felt thankful for the busyness until I had an empty nest. I miss all of the Rice's and the NJ Kopp's ever so much. I am thankful we have Hope and the girls close by to keep me feeling needed.

xoxoxoxoox love you all so much.