Saturday, August 27, 2011

Race Bannon's Post....

UPDATE:
Chris and I just returned from the grocery store, and I have to say that all of this is very surreal.  After a summer of tourists and traffic, to see the streets and stores empty is spooky.  Top that with stores and houses boarded up and you get absolutely surreal.  My thoughts and my prayers right now are with the people already being hit by the hurricane.  What an adventurous life the Bannons lead...
*****************************************************
I haven't had time to blog anything due to how busy I have been with  football, getting ready to start school, earthquakes, hurricane irene....so, I decided to post Chris' blog post here because he has had plenty of time to blog ;).  On Chris' blog he is known as Race Bannon, and I am Mrs. Bannon and our family is the Bannons.  So, without further adieu...
******************************************************************************
Okay, serious now...

The east coast is absolutely prepared. Politicians have been way out in front of this...but like Katrina, I know there are many in the inner cities who just don't get it. They live in public housing, receive welfare credit cards, government job training for jobs they never apply for...and they are incapable of surviving on their own.

But enough about them, if the storm is bad, you will hear and see them on the news...

The Bannons, however, are ready:
With no time to catch our breath after the "oh-eleven" earthquake, we are at battle stations.

- We brought in the lawn furniture (never again!)
- The wind chimes (even the big one, thanks Mom and Dad and Sis) are in
- The vehicles are full of gas
- Plenty of food, and plenty of propane if gas gets cut off
- All water containers are full, freezers full of ice
- Tubs are full of water
- Candles at the ready, batteries for flashlights
- Plenty of first aid kits
- Sat phone (benefits of the job)
- Mag's loaded and plenty of ammo, 'case the Zombies get any ideas

Having Boy scouts and a Civil Air Patrol Ranger helps.

The one thing I didn't do - buy a generator. It was on my list, but at the bottom.

The power back here on the east coast seems to go out every storm. So we may grab our go bags, and head to a hotel with a pool and continental breakfast for a mini-vacation...haven't decided yet. We're watching to see how much it degrades over NC and VA...
 
********************************************************************************
My husband....always the comedian even during hurricanes (did I mention that Chris' first encounter with a hurricane was during PT training at the FBI Academy - outdoor torture during Hurricane Eduardo - after that he looks hurricanes in the face and laughs - HAHAHAHAHA)  ;)
 
Anywho...Elli and I did manage to fit in a pedicure during all this hullabaloo...
 
Are those chubby feet cute or what?

6 comments:

Patti said...

I always read your blog from my email on my phone...so I haven't seen this background, but it is so cool! Except for your blaring music just scared me:) hehe.
ANYHOO...I read this post and panicked. Not because of Irene, but because I saw "without further adieu" and that is a phrase I use ALL the time on my blog. Only I say "without further ado". Being the four year French student that I am, my face turned bright red, realizing I may have been spelling a french words incorrectly all these years. I quickly googled it and found out that I don't have to go back and edit my ado's. whew.but anyhoo.. you do. who knew? Adieu!
;)
praying for safety at Fort Bannon!

Patti said...

p.s.not a french words but a french word. boohoo.

PAULINE said...

WELL, MR N MRS BANNON U SEEM READY FOR HURRICANE IRENE, WHICH HOTEL IN NEW JERSEY WILL U GO IN CASE U HAVE TO LEAVE. PRAYING FOR YOUR SAFETY. LOVE ELLIE'S TOENAILS. BRANDON, YOUR TRAINING AND SCOUT TRNG FOR TREVOR N JOSHY IS COMING IN HANDY. STAY SAFE, HUGS,GRAMMA.

Unknown said...

My kids are still waiting..."is Aunt Lori coming"??? We really need to get together soon! I promise, we'll come down soon. Hoping all this hype is much ado (or adieu) about nothing!! It is nerve racking though!! We are all sleeping in the living room in case one of our trees comes down! (We have had $10,000 worth of trees removed, but still some big ones that could do some damage.) Prayers for all who may be affected! Hope all turns out well. Love from the Yardley Kopps!!

Lori said...

The trees were the scary part for me too, Kate. Patti - funny I had spelled "adieu" another way and Chris made me correct it...going to have to bing it!!

Mrs. K said...

I need a pedicure so I will be making reservations as soon as you let me know when is a good time in Oct.