Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Patti Rice

Today I am dedicating my post to someone very special to me...my sister-in-law, Patti Rice. There are a lot of great things that can be said of Patti. She is an amazing wife and mother. Her home and her children are a testimony of that. I respect that testimony and frequent her with questions about things I struggle with as a wife and mother. I have to say though, that as much as I esteem this testimonial, that is not what I am going to focus on in this post.
Today I am going to focus on the level of kind-heartedness that Patti possesses. A level of caring that I deeply admire. Throughout the 17 years that I have been married to her brother, I have seen Patti dedicate her life to being a Pastor's wife. I have seen her open up her home to, and be a friend to complete strangers. Not in a robotic, dutiful, servitude, but in an unnatural, unselfish, choice to help someone. I say unnatural because the human heart is naturally selfish. I know in my own personal life, I can be SO caught up in the dailies, that everything and everyone else falls by the way side. I am sure that Patti has her moments when setting aside her own life endeavors aren't convenient or easy, but the fact that she strives to set them aside and be a friend to someone in need - someone that may be a complete stranger - is a quality of caring that I covet. Patti hasn't limited this purposeful consideration of others to strangers. I have seen her extend the same love to her family and extended family. "Naturally", you say. I say maybe. I think sometimes it is easier to help a stranger than to help a family member. What is the saying...You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family. I find that usually the people closest to you are the ones that hurt you the most - because you love them. I have to say that in my life's moments, where I have taken offense and not forgiven as I should, it is, and has been, Patti who, by her testimony, and sometimes hard-loving words, reminds me what is right. I don't know how many of you have read my son, Brandon's, post on "being a leader and follower" (August 15,2010 post on this blog), but you should read it, it is a great post.;) In it Brandon talks about being a leader and follower - not setting yourself so high above others that you are only an example, but setting yourself among the followers so that you are more easily seen and can help carry and pick up those that need to be carried and picked up. This is who Patti is...my leader and my follower. She has been an example for me, and she has been right beside me and picked me up on several occasions. I love you Patti - and thank you!!


Patti and myself during the delivery of Elli back in March - this is the only photo I have of Patti and I - so - don't look at me - focus on her!

1 comment:

Patti said...

You are TOO kind, Lori:) It's all a pack of lies, but thanks for making it up!!