Tuesday, July 2, 2013

United States Air Force Academy or BUST!!!!

It was the day that Brandon has talked about since he was in 3rd grade.  The day came quickly, too quickly, and went by slowly.  It was agonizing and at the same time awesome.  It began with breakfast....
After breakfast we took some family photos...
Then we headed to the Academy.  We all hugged Brandon and held onto him as long as we could...twice....
....we cried....and then we said goodbye....
I was in labor with Brandon for about 34 hours....they had to help me deliver him because he didn't want to leave the womb....that 34 hours was a piece of cake compared to saying goodbye to Brandon and watching him walk away.  We stuck around to watch him from afar as he was talked to and prepared for the day ahead of him.  Then he grabbed his bag, lined up, and loaded the bus.  I took some video, but blogger isn't kind to me about loading pics let alone video....but I got some pics too...
I wasn't alone as I stood looking at the bus that my son had just boarded.  
We all stood watching as the bus left.
There were lots of booths around with USAFA things to buy.  Mom bought me an Air Force jacket...she gave it to me at the hotel that night...I cried.  Thank you mom...you will never know how much I love that jacket...I wore it on the plane ride home :)
Chris and mom and I returned to the Academy early the next morning to watch the cadets be sworn in.
The cadets marched onto the field as hundreds of parents and friends and family stood watching....
  It was an emotional time...We were not just dropping our son off at college...we were watching him swear to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States and to protect the citizens therein - with his life if necessary.  They didn't sugar coat the speeches.  The cadets were told that they were joining the military during war times...that the citizens of this great Nation were paying a lot of money in taxes to make them the best they can be and that they better be prepared to give everything they have to earn what they are being given.  When the Air Force Marching Band played the Air Force song I cried....partly because of the empty place that will be left by Brandon's absence...partly because of the pride I feel that my son is one of those people willing to give his life to defend another.  



For several weeks before Brandon left I kept asking myself..."have I said everything I want to to Brandon?"...."have I forgotten to tell him anything?".  I have told him a million times that I love him...I have given him every bit of advice I can think of concerning his integrity, morals, character, and Salvation.  I don't feel like I forgot anything...and there are some things that only life experience can teach.  There is a song that Brandon and I love...I wrote out the words and gave them to him before he left....below is the video....

4 comments:

stephen kopp said...

Wonderful pictures but oh poo the video would not play all the way through. Stopped about 1/3 of the way.

Race Bannon said...

Brandon looks like he was standing on his tip toes when he was near me?

PAULINE said...

IM SAD BUT SO VERY PROUD OF BRANDON. LUV U ALL.MOM (GRAMMA PAULINE)

Grammi Faith said...

Just love reading this one over and over. Though it makes me cry I love seeing Brandon's handsome face and seeing the love my family has for each other. xoxoxox